By Jonathan LaPaglia
Posts Custom Custom Custom
This is Baden's Final Tribal Council Thread.

All other Jurors should remain in their own threads. Final 3, remember... this is not for you to address each other, but to talk to the jury. In-fighting amongst the Final 3 should be reserved for the Live Final Tribal Council on Sunday.

Jury, you have until Saturday at 8c/9e to post your statements/questions to the Final 3. Remember not to take up too much of their time as they have 10 other jurors to get to. Please no listing or questions requiring novels for answers. You should post all of your statements/questions in your opening post in this thread. There is a live Final Council on Sunday where you will get to address everyone live about the statements they have made and ask follow-ups.

Jonathan LaPaglia

• Host
  • Awards: Posts Custom Custom Custom
By Baden
Hey icons, thanks for waiting!

So you two managed to pull off what we couldn't, and Outlasted us until the final 2. That in and of itself suggests you both had some success to your game, and I applaud you both for doing so. However, I've still gotta make my mind up about Outwitting and Outplaying. Like I said way back on the night after the Tessa vote, if you guys were gonna make the mistake of putting me on jury, I was gonna look for who took more active steps in defining their own game, making moves and taking chances, and that hasn't changed at all.

David, you definitely played a riskier game, and even though you made enemies with your playstyle, you still managed to claw your way to F2. Tell me, what's your biggest regret from your path to FTC?

Jarrad, your game was a lot smoother, with almost everyone at one point or another considering you a valued and trusted ally. However, from my perspective on your game, your strategic plays effectively boiled down to "Hide behind a threat so they don't vote me out." I saw you as someone who hid behind Kylie and Michelle, and after my ouster, as someone who still downplayed your own threat level. Like i mentioned earlier, I'm rewarding risks, and your game appears to have very little risk in it at all. Why should I bother considering writing your name down here? Does a self proclaimed puppet like yourself deserve any votes from us? What active choices did *you* make to further your own position in the game, instead of just relying on someone else to take the fall every day?

And a couple small questions for you both. Let's suppose a hypothetical twist where you got to pick one of us jurors to join you as a finalist, making the other 10 vote among an F3. Who would you pick, and why?

And the converse of that, let's say you won a power to nullify a jury vote entirely. Whose vote would you cross out, and why?

This isn't technically a question, but tell me something I don't know. The most intriguing something wins. Just curious :p
Jarrad, David liked this

Baden

• Jury
  • Awards: Posts
By Jarrad
Why should I bother considering writing your name down here?
You should consider writing my name down to win by realizing there's more than one way to skin a cat, and there's more than one way to win the game of Survivor. You said it yourself, David played a riskier game, and I played a less risky game. I had everyone looking at me as someone that they could turn to and work with, yet David did not do that. Your ouster came from a place of desperation, stating that you wanted to make a move, namely because it was becoming painfully obvious or was already completely obvious as to what was happening at that point, and so for that you were able to secure yourself a few more rounds. In doing that though, you had become a threatening player, and someone that was going to be able to use that say, where I'm sitting now, as a reason to win the game. You should consider me to win the game because I was doing my best to secure my position round after round, and successfully did that. I did not receive a single vote to leave this game the entire time, which should speak volumes. No one ever thought that I was the person that needed to leave the game, and whenever it even WAS discussed, the pudding never proved it was something that was doable or the best thing to do, although David burned bridges and did not manage closely enough his personal relationships all for the sake of taking risks to be able to own up to at the end. There is the concept of risk and reward, but even in taking those risks, you are also risking that you won't be rewarded. I took quiet risks, but none that had me especially in hot water. The one moment I did have my neck in hot water, I was able to win the immunity challenge and secure myself a spot in the final 3. I had an excellent sense of who to talk to and when, and through that awareness of the game, was able to realize that the BEST way for me to make it to the end to even have the chance to win was to play from a quietly powerful position, instead of trying to be a powerhouse of a strategic player, the way that David is claiming to be right now.
Does a self proclaimed puppet like yourself deserve any votes from us?
My proclamation of me being a puppet was done in an extremely intentional way, and in a way, that is me taking a risk. I took a risk by dragging my own name through the mud so that I could end up here at the end, and it paid off. If I played more aggressively and more strategically and went specifically for David or Sharn at any point other than when I did, it could have completely backfired and meant that I'm sitting on the jury and Sharn is sitting here where I am, more than likely taking the entire game home. I had to play like a puppet, but I was a completely sentient, hyper vigilant puppet. I used masterful ways of knowing how to socialize in these games and diminished my own threat level to make sure I made it to the end. You can't win the game if you don't make it to the end of the game. I did what I had to do to make sure that happened. David did not put himself in a position where he could have played this way, because he'd made way too big of a name for himself and made enemies along the way. He was consistently being looked at as someone that needed to go. The difference between the game that I played and what a typical "goat" would play, is that a goat really is just strung along for the ride and is happy to be here, but I was not just strung along. I proved that I was a strong social player, strong in challenges, and was not someone that had dropped to an invisible status. I was always in the mix and did not just sit back. I acted as a puppet, but I was not one.
What active choices did *you* make to further your own position in the game, instead of just relying on someone else to take the fall every day?
I've spoken on this already, but I made the active choice to vote in the minority with Kylie to further my own position in the game. This is something that David did not have the gall to do, and was instead willing to put his game on the line for the sake of voting in the majority during the Tessa vote. Voting for Tessa ultimately did benefit me, although I knew that Tegan was close to her and did not want to do that. I was still able to keep a strong relationship with Tegan even after that happened, and also a strong relationship with the Imanpa 4 + Sarah. I voted for Mat after Ben had won immunity at the Final 6 because it was becoming evident that the foundation that we had went far into the game on had crumbled and no longer existed. I specifically used Kylie and Mat as some of my closest allies in the same way that David did, but played a critical hand in each of them going in the way that David didn't. Also, I think every tribal council that exists is you relying on someone else to take the fall.
Let's suppose a hypothetical twist where you got to pick one of us jurors to join you as a finalist, making the other 10 vote among an F3. Who would you pick, and why?
I would pick Michelle. Michelle, as I've mentioned, (and I'm only picking Michelle because I more closely worked with her for a longer period of time and was particularly blindsided during her boot - my ideal F3 would have been Michelle, Tegan, and me) was the person that I was wanting to go all the way to the end with. I would have taken Michelle to prove my loyalty in this game and that it was my own decisive loyalty to her that we both ended up in the finals and not a combination of me + 2 Imanpas or Sarah.
And the converse of that, let's say you won a power to nullify a jury vote entirely. Whose vote would you cross out, and why?

Call it a cop out answer, but I'm gonna say Nova's vote. I think it's clear to me that Nova would be voting for David tonight, based solely on the fact that they existed in the game for a longer amount of time and I also feel like Nova would not be able to see how strong of a game I played without getting to know me more closely. I never got a chance to get to know Nova that well whereas David had more opportunity to.

Anyway, I hope you realize that my game wasn't devoid of risk, but that even if there was less risk involved than David, that it should be considered if that's really what you want to base your vote on. I played a very intelligent and socially driven game.

Thanks, Baden!
Baden liked this

Jarrad

• Uluru Tribe

Uluru Tribe
By David
Hey Baden! Thank you for waiting! This has taken a while to get through lol

"I was gonna look for who took more active steps in defining their own game, making moves and taking chances, and that hasn't changed at all."

This resonated with me for the rest of the season Baden. I was so impressed by your voice memo move and seeing you shift the dynamics of the game, leaving it all out there on the table. I have said this before, I know I did not play anywhere close to perfectly. But every single day I had this idea you expressed, among many other ideas I had in the game constantly on the forefront of my mind. I did not want to stand idly by, or try and hide my way to the end. I think I've fleshed this out quite a bit in previous responses. While I've been asked a similar question to the one you have, I wanted to give you a secondary example of a regret that I held in the game, so I wasn't just copy pasting the same answer to you.

David, you definitely played a riskier game, and even though you made enemies with your playstyle, you still managed to claw your way to F2. Tell me, what's your biggest regret from your path to FTC?

I have outlined what is my biggest regret/mistake, but another moment of regret/mistake came from when Sharn purchased the final Bounty Box. I had been telling people that I would go for it, and that I likely had enough money to get it. I gave thought to if it was smart to spend the money now, or try to hold onto it for later in the game. Sharn got money from Michelle, and ended up deciding to purchase the box. While I knew what the advantage was and who had it, I couldn't help but feel like it might have been an error to let her do that. She even told me how much she was going to bid, so I had every opportunity to seize it for myself. I chose not to, giving Sharn the opportunity to up-stage me at her leisure. I think in the moment, I was over-confident to think that I would be able to more strongly influence Sharn to use the advantage to my benefit, without me having to spend my coins on it. It was beneficial to save them for the end game, but I think I would have held a stronger capability to direct the narrative and hold a perception of more control from earlier in the merge if I purchased the advantage.

And a couple small questions for you both. Let's suppose a hypothetical twist where you got to pick one of us jurors to join you as a finalist, making the other 10 vote among an F3. Who would you pick, and why?

This is a very complex thought experiment. I would have to say Daisy. I feel like Daisy had the opportunity to receive votes due to her social game, and strong relationship building. But I wanted to sit at the end and be able to distinguish the style and moves of my game from the other finalists I was with. It's difficult to say what votes could be won or lost by the inclusion of Daisy, but I believe that I would have still held a formidable chance to plead my case. Plus, I think it would have been kind of fun to see her talk maaaad shit about me at FTC :laugh:

I can only base this off of my perceptions, since technically I am still in the game. But I would have to say Michelle. Her and I never developed a strong working relationship, and I played an active role in eliminating her. I know that her and Jarrad developed a strong relationship, so I would not be surprised or blame her for being inclined to give him a vote to win the game.

This isn't technically a question, but tell me something I don't know. The most intriguing something wins. Just curious :p

I am going to give you 3 completely random answers!

1. I was a classically trained pianist (read that word slowly people) as a kid for about 12 years, but I switched to the drums as I got older

2. I have reoccurring dreams of being able to fly. I don't know why. I don't know how. It's pretty cool sometimes. It can also be terrifying.

3. The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell (ok you probably know this one)
Baden liked this

David

• Uluru Tribe

Uluru Tribe
By Baden
Thank you both for your answers! This vote isn't quite as cut and dry as I thought it would be going in, and you guys have both given me a lot to think about. Best of luck, guys!
Jarrad, David liked this

Baden

• Jury