By Jonathan LaPaglia
Custom Posts Custom Custom
This is Tegan's Final Tribal Council Thread.

All other Jurors should remain in their own threads. Final 3, remember... this is not for you to address each other, but to talk to the jury. In-fighting amongst the Final 3 should be reserved for the Live Final Tribal Council on Sunday.

Jury, you have until Saturday at 8c/9e to post your statements/questions to the Final 3. Remember not to take up too much of their time as they have 10 other jurors to get to. Please no listing or questions requiring novels for answers. You should post all of your statements/questions in your opening post in this thread. There is a live Final Council on Sunday where you will get to address everyone live about the statements they have made and ask follow-ups.

Jonathan LaPaglia

• Host
  • Awards: Custom Posts Custom Custom
By Tegan
Hey boys - Congrats to you both on making it to the end of the game! You've done what the rest of us were unable to do. You've outwitted, outplayed, and outlasted everyone but each other. With one final step, the end is in sight and I wish you both the best of luck in this. I've read through both of your opening statements and I think they were both decent enough and I'm glad you've both hyped yourselves up. I think like the majority of the jurors, I have an idea of who I MIGHT vote, but my vote is generally up for grabs and I'm excited to hear your thoughts.
DAVID
I think we never really had the opportunity to work together but I was always eager to try to get something going for us, it just never seemed like an opportune moment. I take a lot of the accountability there because I felt like I had other options I could trust more which... wound up being the incorrect read. I hope you liked my gift I left you with on my way out! It was my way of making it up to you :rofl:
JARRAD
I really enjoyed our interactions throughout our time together and I considered you my closest ally in the game. I was pretty hurt when you ignored me the entire tribal council I was voted out during, while you had told me prior "you will be fine!" I thought that was pretty poor jury management but maybe there was another motive or maybe you were just weak, idk. Feel free to shed some light on that. That's not my question for you but you can address it if you wish.

I have two questions for you both and they are pretty straight-forward and I don't want pandering. Nobody plays a perfect game, there is always room for improvement, so I'm curious what both of your thoughts are. Genuinely, what would you say was your biggest mistake in the game? How would the game be different if you hadn't made such a mistake? I'm looking for accountability, I'm looking for awareness, and I'm looking for a genuine answer. My second question is to flip the script: what would you say was your opponent's greatest mistake in the game and why should it cost them the win?

While I don't think either of you played hardcore phenomenally strategic games, I think either of you would be great representation for the season and a deserving winner. I know you both have what it takes to take home the crown. Good luck and don't fuck it up!
David, Jarrad liked this

Tegan

• Jury
  • Awards: Posts
By David
Hi Tegan, it's great to get the opportunity to speak to you. I'll get right to it!

I agree with what you said: we never had an opportune moment to form an organic working relationship. I could tell from afar that you had a lot of great connections that gave you options further down the road in the game. I also made it more difficult to bridge the gap after doing the Tessa vote. Nevertheless, I was appreciative and surprised to find your Souvenir in my inbox :grin: I hope that I was able to utilize it in a way that you respect!

Now for your two questions. No beating around the bush here:

Numbah One

My biggest mistake of the game was how I handled my relationships during the round Tessa left. I was extremely caught up in the uncertainty and chaos following myself receiving a vote, and Kylie receiving 2. Tessa came clean to me about her and Sharn being the 2 on Kylie, and you about my vote. I played nice, but it became clear to me that the power wasn't with me there. I got so caught up though that I ended up being really shitty and shady to people like Daisy, Baden and Ben who hadn't given me any reason to do that. I had just met Daisy, and I felt like we really hit it off. But I fractured our relationship from the start, which was absolutely an error on my part; Both game wise and personally. Baden and Ben had both been honest and open with me from before we merged, and I think my choice to deceive them was a poor one. Especially with Baden, I feel like our game relationship never truly recovered after that. We had spoken about working together with Daisy come merge, and my actions made that very difficult to accomplish.

The butterfly effect from changing anything that early in the merge would be difficult to accurately depict, but I'd like to give you as authentic of an answer as possible here. If I were able to be honest and transparent about the situation with everyone I deceived, I believe my perception as a player (and potentially as a person) would have been more positive. Possibly for the rest of the time I spent in the game. We had the Touchy Subjects challenge very shortly after that round, which for me was quite lucky as an opportunity to take advantage of the poor perception. If I didn't have that perception though, I don't know if I would have won the challenge. I also don't know that I would have needed to, which is arguably the better position to be in at that point in the game. I won't give you a play by play of how I see each round transpiring from then on, but instead shine the light on a few key dynamics that I think would have been different:

- I feel like Ben and I had been developing a strong bond, which was majorly set back here. While we were able to come together at multiple points during the rest of the season, I think our working relationship would have been more substantial and deeply rooted. I made the assumption that Ben's loyalty was stronger with you and Tessa than it would have been with me. I didn't spend the proper time to value the one-on-one relationship we had already created at the time.

- My actions created animosity from some. At the time mainly Daisy expressed it directly to me. For me to make anyone in the game feel that personally insulted or upset is always a mistake. I appreciate that we were able to continue to maintain a dialogue and work towards repairing our relationship. If I would have handled the initial situation with more sensibility and tact, the damage would not have been done in the first place. I am confident we would have ended off on a better personal note in this scenario.

- After the fallout from the Tessa vote, I had my guard up a bit higher for the rest of the season. I think part of my paranoia stemmed from knowing that I could have handled the situation a lot better. I also knew that I would need to be really careful to prevent it from negatively affecting my game and my relationships to the point that it ended my stay on Uluru. I am a verbal communicator, so sometimes I struggle to be a natural version of myself in an online medium. With that said, not having my guard up as high would absolutely have made it easier to be natural.

- The last part is more meta, because it involves decisions that are being made as I type this. In this alternate timeline, if I was to have made it to the Final 2, I have no question that my chances would improve. Even just with something as simple as certain people feeling a bit better about voting for me to win. But I think it could have amplified to being as big as jurors having a ton more respect for my overall game. I don't want to speculate too wildly here, but I also want to be introspective.

Numbah Two

I believe there was one critical flaw in Jarrad's game that both distinguishes our style of play, and limited his ability to take an active role in the decisions that were made this season. Jarrad refused to take the risks he needed to in order to receive the outcomes that he wanted. You outlined a perfect example of this in what you described to Jarrad about your experience the vote you left. He could have stuck his neck out, or communicated with you. Instead, he voiced his displeasure afterwards in the fact that he didn't have agency in the game, and felt like people would see him having not influenced any decisions. You usually have to take some risks in order to avoid that from happening. We all make mistakes though, myself included. Where this became a bigger issue I feel is when he failed to do anything to try and prevent what he already recognized to be an issue for himself. Jarrad honed in on Ben as his target for a significant part of the merge, which alienated Ben from wanting to work with Jarrad. It also completely limited his options for the end game. While he was able to get to F2, I think survival held too much individual weight for him.

Jarrad focused too much on Outlasting, but not enough focus was given to Outwitting and Outplaying the competition to a strong enough extent. I was far away from perfect in the latter 2 categories myself. But I tried to seize as much opportunity as I could at every stage of this season, sans a few moments. I fully agree with Jarrad that I played a cut-throat game, and sometimes burned people because of it. From what I am hearing though, Jarrad had to burn a few people himself that trusted him.

Thanks Tegan! I hope this helps you make what I know is a difficult decision.
Tegan, Daisy liked this

David

• Uluru Tribe

Uluru Tribe
By Jarrad
I really enjoyed our interactions throughout our time together and I considered you my closest ally in the game. I was pretty hurt when you ignored me the entire tribal council I was voted out during, while you had told me prior "you will be fine!" I thought that was pretty poor jury management but maybe there was another motive or maybe you were just weak, idk. Feel free to shed some light on that. That's not my question for you but you can address it if you wish.
I want to make it clear to you, that I also considered you my closest ally in the game (once you had left, it was Michelle, which is my reasoning for my answer to Tessa), and I can't help but to feel a large part of indirect responsibility for your going. It had became apparent to Mat, David, Kylie, and Sarah that I was close with you, and I was hoping that they'd seen it as a way to benefit their own game through my providing of information on where your head was at, but I think they saw through that and since you were not also as close with them as you were with me, they decided you needed to go. I was still protected in that way even after you left, but it was not what I wanted to happen, and really kicked my ass into a different gear. I had mentioned to both you and Michelle multiple times that it would probably have been a good idea to get closer to that group (Mat, David, Kylie, and Sarah). Maybe it was because you didn't see yourself aligned with them or not but I fully believe that if there was a more working relationship established with these people that you wouldn't have left this round, and the dreams of us actually ending up together here at the end would be true.

Ever since we first met and started chatting, I can confidently say there was no one else in this game who I felt like I could actually talk like myself around and be no holds barred on a social or game level. We cracked each other up on multiple occasions and once we'd linked up, you brought me so much comfort and almost a safe haven for my own ideas and to speak on concerns or frustrations of the game. It really meant a lot to me when I'd mentioned watching a show and the first thing you did was pull it up and start watching it, and I think that's a testament to the pull we had on each other, and I knew as soon as you left that night and I'd voted you out, that you were really upset with me. I had no idea you were even receiving any number of votes once tribal had started. It had been mentioned but I was confident it was going to be on Ben or Mat that night, and I was willing to do whatever I had to do to make it happen, but I was told from pretty much every person that I'd reached out to very shortly before votes were due, that it was going to be you. That night I hadn't even voted up until the very last minute of voting and so I think my avoidance of telling you the vote was on you was my own denial of it being real. I didn't want to tell you it because it's not how I imagined things going, and I felt hurt and betrayed in the same ways that you probably feel hurt and betrayed by my voting for you. If I had known earlier, I would have undoubtedly stuck my neck out for you, because you being in the game with me was a part of every plan that I had envisioned. I am very, very sorry for not just shooting you a quick whisper before votes were read to let you know it was happening, and above all else, I hope that you understand this and don't hate me for it, and that we can actually be friends after this.
I have two questions for you both and they are pretty straight-forward and I don't want pandering. Nobody plays a perfect game, there is always room for improvement, so I'm curious what both of your thoughts are. Genuinely, what would you say was your biggest mistake in the game? How would the game be different if you hadn't made such a mistake? I'm looking for accountability, I'm looking for awareness, and I'm looking for a genuine answer.
There's a few reasons why I think this happened, but I think my biggest mistake in the game was going too hard for too long for Ben to leave. Ben was your bounty, and no that's not why I wanted him to go so bad, but around the time you had left, we had mentioned wanting to vote out Ben so that you would get your bounty. It never happened, and instead the opposite did. This planted the seed in my head that Ben was not someone that just lacked on a social front but it really put in to perspective that he was just as viable of a player than anyone in the merge, which I feel like more than proved itself, but in my wanting to gun for him so hard in pretty much every round from the Final 6 on, it kept me from realizing the other dynamics that were at play. Especially once the first attempt to take out Ben had failed, it told ME that Ben was an extremely strong player, when in fact I think it was Sharn pulling most of the strings. It kept me from realizing just how close David and Sharn were and kept me from realizing the decisions they would make in taking out Daisy. Through my insistence of wanting to get Ben out, David and Sharn both lied to me on repeat agreeing with me for how much of a threat Ben was. I knew as soon as Daisy left, though, that there was more to it than what they had been letting on, and it put me in a position where I had to play from an especially adverse position, one that would mean that I needed to come off weak versus strong in order to make it to the end, instead of a more aggressive approach. If I hadn't went for Ben from Final 6 onwards, I could have more carefully considered each individual left and made more specific decisions on how to get to the end, which would have included taking Sharn out earlier than she left.
My second question is to flip the script: what would you say was your opponent's greatest mistake in the game and why should it cost them the win?
David's greatest mistake was relying too closely on Mat, Sarah, and Kylie. I came into the game with Mat and Kylie specifically out of those 3. Sarah joined up with us at the merge after having met Mat, Kylie, and me on Arumbera 3.0. David trusted Mat, Kylie, Sarah, and me enough to put his own neck out on the line to vote for Tessa although it was completely unnecessary that he did that. David knew that Kylie had the advantage and was going to play it, so no matter what, Tessa was going to leave. In this way, he put himself in a much harder spot where he had to recover from broken words from before the merge with people that he had grown close to, and rely too heavily on that group. I had a similar situation obviously whenever I voted for Sharn instead of Kylie, knowing that Kylie was going to go, so that I could gather information from both sides and be in a much more solid and steady position. This means my biggest mistake is the opposite of David's. David's biggest mistake was breaking his word to too many people in the name of taking risks for his own benefit, instead of realizing the safest path taking the least amount of risks as the best way to go. His social game was not as strong as mine was, and relied too heavily on fate to get him to the end game than making sure he got there himself.
Tegan, Michelle liked this

Jarrad

• Uluru Tribe

Uluru Tribe